Donation to District 6200 Foundation for Aid to Louisiana Flood Victims
A check was sent in September to the District Foundation to be utilized for assistance to victims of the August floods in various parts of the state. Thanks to those members who contributed to this effort.
Assistance to Victims of the August 2016 Louisiana Floods
Members of the Rotary Club of Thibodaux assisted victims in a variety of ways:
- Several members discovered individuals who took up temporary residence in Thibodaux hotels/motels and provided meals, laundry service, as well as financial assistance (paying room costs, etc.) to them.
- A few members with portable cooking rigs set them up in different locations and cooked food for them.
- Several members, with their church groups, provided cleanup labor and did basic construction work.
The Club, in partnership with other clubs and groups, received $3,000 grants from District 6200 to provide assistance as follows:
- With the Rotary Club of Livingston, and coordination by the Livingston Parish School Board Office, shoes, socks, belts and undershirts to complete school uniforms were purchased for needy children.
- With the Rotary Club of Donaldsonville, and selection of recipients by the Ascension Council on Aging as well as St. Elizabeth Hospital (Gonzales, LA), needy individuals from east Ascension (areas devastated by floods) received vouchers to purchase appliances damaged in floods.
- With the Rotary Club of Golden Meadow, funds are to be utilized to purchase appliances, furniture, and/or bedding for families affected by flooding. Any funds that may remain after purchases of such items will be utilized for purchase of groceries for these families.